By Liu Jilin
Material : Granite
Location : Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) Building
Duration : Permanent
Collection : Urban Redevelopment Authority
The sculpture shows a trio of samsui women, identified by their characteristic hats and the loads they carry on their backs. Samsui women came to Singapore from the Sansui Province of China mostly between the 1920’s and 1940’s in search of jobs to support their families back home. The location of this sculpture outside the Urban Development Authority’s building is significant, as samsui women were mainly responsible for construction and industrial jobs during key development periods in Singapore’s history.